Walking into one of our Digital NESTs is like walking onto a
Google campus only even better because our spaces are infused with:
COMMUNITY, CULTURE & LOVE
We bring growth and stability to the rural, agricultural-based cities of Watsonville and Salinas.
Our communities were historically locked out of the economic opportunity and digital innovation brought by the tech to other California communities. We knew that our kids deserve the very best to nurture their talents, wisdom, and passions so we built our own thriving center for technology and empowerment that prepares our young people to prosper in the workforce. Digital NEST spins a web of connection and opportunity across the entire community.
A scalable vision
Digital NEST is working to create sustainable and scalable technology centers in vulnerable communities all over California and beyond, creating economic equality for the residents of low income and rural communities, teaching young people the technical skills needed to become competitive and self-sufficient in the digital future.
Digital NEST has sparked a nationwide dialogue among educators, policy-makers and the media as a model for conquering the digital divide in underserved communities throughout the U.S. We welcome your inquiries and ideas on growing and sharing the Digital NEST idea with other communities.
VALUES WE ALL CARE ABOUT
Agreements we can all work towards
• We take care of the physical workplace. We spend a lot of our day at the NEST, let’s make sure to make it welcoming and comfortable for all.
• If we see a colleague in need, we offer support.
• We love to help each other.
• If something feels off, we don’t ignore it; we bring it out in the open and do something
• We are accountable to ourselves and our community.
• We create a welcoming environment by greeting people you encounter when you come in, and saying goodbye to people you encounter when you leave.
• We are what we aspire our youth to become.
• We are transparent; we do not have hidden agendas, we are genuine, and we walk the talk.
• We work on ourselves and we also think about how to help our community.
• The actions that we take are in the best interest of our community and planet.
• We encourage real rest and use our paid time off when we’re sick or need to recharge.
• We communicate when we need help at work, a break, or slow down.
• We are supportive; we are mindful of those around us and know our limits.
• We hire people with the ability and passion to be successful. As an organization we have the responsibility to provide everyone with the resources to thrive.
• We strengthen communities from within by working with local youth, businesses, partners, and hiring local talent.
• We are looking for ways to improve yourself, our colleagues, the organization, and the community.
• We are quietly confident and openly humble.
• We build up, we don’t call out - we make our colleagues better through feedback.
• We are patient with others’ work styles.
• We fail forward with the best intentions- we openly admit and embrace mistakes and provide support to learn from them as an individual and an organization.
• We are forgiving of ourselves and others
• When possible, we receive awards as an organization, rather than on an individual basis.
• We recognize that our work builds upon the work of others who came before us and those who are helping us now.
• We seek and welcome constructive feedback on organizational decisions.
• We value transparency - we communicate what is going on at an organizational level to all parties.
• We work across departments.
• We respect people’s time by showing up on time
• We collaborate with people of diverse cultures and backgrounds and we take the time to understand where they are coming from and their personal experiences.
• We create a space of inclusivity and equity.
• We welcome everyone that walks into the NEST.
• We treat others the way they want to be treated
• We listen to understand, not to respond.